Eric Mausner, an experienced car accident lawyer, gives the following eight things to do after an accident:
- Safety first. Stay calm and assess the situation. If you can stop your car make sure to pull to the side of the road and get out of the way of traffic. If you need to help anyone who is injured be very careful in doing so because you could be held liable if you make someone’s injuries worse.
- Do not leave the scene of an accident. Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime in Florida. You must stop and exchange information with the other driver.
- Call 911. Call the police immediately and cooperate with law enforcement. The police will determine fault, if possible, and this will affect your personal injury case at the outset.
- Do not admit fault or guilt. Don’t say anything that can be used against you in the future. This includes: “I am sorry,” “I wasn’t paying attention,” “the other car came out of the blue,” “I will pay for the damage or medical bills,” or anything else that looks like an admission of guilt. Be polite to all other parties, but protect your rights and don’t hurt your personal injury case. You can save your apologies for later.
- Gather evidence. Take a lot of photos and videos of injuries, property damage, the accident scene, conditions of the road, skid marks, and all the evidence of the accident. Write down names, addresses, and cell phones of witnesses on scene. Take note of any surveillance cameras nearby. Photograph the license plates of any witnesses who stop but then want to leave right away before they give you their names.
- Seek immediate medical treatment.
- Call me to tell me about your accident. You should report the accident to your car insurance company right away. Don’t do this alone because the process can be complicated, and you risk damaging your claim when talking to your adjuster.
- Be patient. Personal injury claims and lawsuits can take time. Every case is different so stay patient, stay in contact with me, and be sure to treat your injuries and follow your doctor’s treatment plan.
Contact a leading personal injury lawyer
ERIC MAUSNER LAW, P.A. can help you if you’ve suffered a personal injury. Call our personal injury and accident lawyers today – 305-800-TORT (8678). Our consultations are free. Get in touch for more information about car accident legal services today.